In America, from the time that we are small children, just old enough to understand the concept of wanting something that we don't just automatically get, we are told that all we have to do is want it enough. If you want to be a doctor, all you have to do is study hard and want it enough. If you want to be an athlete, work hard and want it enough. If you want to be a firefighter, just be brave and want it enough.
If you really love her, all you have to do is tell her how you feel, and want her enough...
What our parents, our family members and our role models never tell us when we are children, though, is that when it's another person that we want, it takes more than just wanting them enough. They have to want you back.
I could be a doctor if I studied enough. I could be a professional hockey player, even at the age of 33, if I simply worked hard enough. And I've been a firefighter. Lord knows I've been brave enough to do many things that most people would cower from.
But no one on this planet can tell me that I simply haven't been there enough, sacrificed enough, or worked hard enough to earn the love and respect of the woman that I care most about in this world. And yet she continues to turn away from me.
You see, the other things in life are simply academic. It's true; almost anyone in the world can be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a football player. Even an astronaut. All they have to do is work enough, study enough and stay focused enough. If you make the grades, mentally and/or physically, the goal is static. It stays where you can see it, and it is forever achieveable.
Love, however, is dependent on the thoughts and feelings of another person. So it is fleeting. It's dynamic and ever changing. It's shifty, like Mohammed Ali. It floats like a butterfly...and stings like an Abrams tank. Just when you think you have a firm grasp on it, that beautiful little dove will turn around, bite you in the hand, and fly away. And probably crap on your nice clean car as it passes over, just to add insult to injury.
So for now, I'm done. I'm tired and I need to rest and reset my life; cleanse my heart and mind of the the toxicity that I've exposed myself to. Things will get better over time. In fact, I think it's already started. Today was a big first step. And tomorrow will be another one.
If you really love her, all you have to do is tell her how you feel, and want her enough...
What our parents, our family members and our role models never tell us when we are children, though, is that when it's another person that we want, it takes more than just wanting them enough. They have to want you back.
I could be a doctor if I studied enough. I could be a professional hockey player, even at the age of 33, if I simply worked hard enough. And I've been a firefighter. Lord knows I've been brave enough to do many things that most people would cower from.
But no one on this planet can tell me that I simply haven't been there enough, sacrificed enough, or worked hard enough to earn the love and respect of the woman that I care most about in this world. And yet she continues to turn away from me.
You see, the other things in life are simply academic. It's true; almost anyone in the world can be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a football player. Even an astronaut. All they have to do is work enough, study enough and stay focused enough. If you make the grades, mentally and/or physically, the goal is static. It stays where you can see it, and it is forever achieveable.
Love, however, is dependent on the thoughts and feelings of another person. So it is fleeting. It's dynamic and ever changing. It's shifty, like Mohammed Ali. It floats like a butterfly...and stings like an Abrams tank. Just when you think you have a firm grasp on it, that beautiful little dove will turn around, bite you in the hand, and fly away. And probably crap on your nice clean car as it passes over, just to add insult to injury.
So for now, I'm done. I'm tired and I need to rest and reset my life; cleanse my heart and mind of the the toxicity that I've exposed myself to. Things will get better over time. In fact, I think it's already started. Today was a big first step. And tomorrow will be another one.
No comments:
Post a Comment